Vegetarian Bean Chili Recipe
Author: Chef Kelly Yorke
This recipe is a good choice to include in a cancer-fighting diet. Beans are a rich source of antioxidants, fiber, and lignans. Lignans may have a protective effect against breast and prostate cancer. Tomatoes are rich in lycopene which can help fight endometrial, lung, prostate and stomach cancers. Garlic helps fight breast, colon, esophageal, and stomach cancers. And curcumin found in turmeric has been shown to help slow and shrink tumors. All these wonderful food-provided compounds are found in this southwestern stew containing beans, spices, brown rice and vegetables. To reduce your exposure to toxic pesticides and genetically modified foods, use as many certified organic ingredients as you can get and afford that are listed in this recipe.
- 3 Tbls. Canola Oil, organic (non-GMO)
- 1.5 cups Onions, organic, chopped
- 1 cup Celery ribs, organic, diced
- 2 Tbls. Garlic, organic, minced
- 2 cups Green bell pepper, organic, diced
- 1 can Tomatoes (14.5 oz. BPH-free can), fire roasted, diced,
- 1 cup Vegetable Broth, ready-to-serve, organic
- 1 can Red Kidney Beans, (14.5 oz. BPA-free can) organic, drained
- 1 can White Beans, (14.5 oz. BPA-free can) organic, drained
- 1 can Pinto Beans, (14.5 oz. BPA-free can) organic, drained
- 1 Tbls. Tomato Paste, (from BPA-free can) organic
- 3 Tbls. Chili Powder, organic
- 1 Tbls. Ground cumin, organic
- 1 Tbls. Turmeric, organic
- 1.5 cups Brown Rice, organic, cooked
- un-drained, organic
- Chop onions, garlic, celery and peppers. Heat a heavy-bottomed skillet until hot. Add the oil and swirl
- around to coat the bottom with the oil.
- Add the onions and sauté them until they become soft. Add celery, garlic, and bell pepper. Stir to coat
- them with the oil.
- Add tomatoes with juice, broth, drained beans and tomato paste. Stir in spices and rice.
- Cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes. Adjust seasoning with Salt and pepper (optional)
- Garnish with chopped organic cilantro, scallions and tortilla chips (if desired).
Calories: 322, Fat: 9g, Carbohydrates: 52g, Sodium: 614mg, Fiber: 12g, Protein: 12g, Cholesterol: 0mg