Swedish Meatballs with Non-Dairy Creamy Dill Sauce
Author: Chef Kelly Yorke
Serves: 4 Servings
- 1 lb. Ground beef, 100% grass fed, organic, 95% lean
- ¼ cup Ground Flax seeds (flax meal)
- ½ cup Mashed Potatoes
- ¼ cup Minced onion
- 1 large Egg or liquid egg substitute
- ¼ tsp. Dry mustard
- ½ tsp. Salt
- ¼ tsp Ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp. Ground allspice
- ¼ tsp. Ground nutmeg
- 1 Tbls. Almond oil
- 1 Tbls. All-purpose flour
- 1 cup Almond milk, coconut milk, or other non-dairy milk substitute
- ½ cup Non-dairy cream cheese style spread, plain, (such as Daiya or Tofutti brands)
- 1 tsp. Dill weed
- ½ tsp. Nutmeg
- ¼ tsp. Salt
- ¼ tsp. Ground white pepper
- (Meatballs): Preheat oven to 450°F. Line a rimmed cookie sheet with non-stick foil.
- Combine ground beef, flax, mashed potatoes, onion, egg, dry mustard, salt, pepper, allspice and nutmeg until well blended. Form mixture into 1-inch balls. Place balls on cookie sheet so they are not touching each other. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until cooked through to the center. Remove from oven and set aside.
- (Sauce): Meanwhile, heat a sauce pot on medium heat and then add the oil and flour. Stir and cook for 2-3 minutes. Whisk in the almond milk a little at a time while stirring briskly to minimize lumps. Once all the almond milk is added reduce the heat to simmer for 3-5 minutes or until mixture comes to a boil then stir in the cream cheese substitute and seasonings and continue stirring until all the spread has melted and the sauce is smooth. Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Fold the cooked meatballs into the sauce and transfer mixture to a serving platter.
Calories: 307 Fat: 10g, Carbohydrates: 7g, Sodium: 436mg Fiber: 2g, Protein: 10g, Cholesterol: 56mg