Author: Chef Kelly Yorke
Serves: 4 Portions
These addicting hush puppy-type fritters contain minced sardines to boost extra vitamin D and calcium to any meal. Sprinkle these with balsamic vinegar to really bring out all the flavors of the seasonings and serve them with a cup of "Chilled Cucumber, Cashew, and Mukimame Soup" for a calcium-rich first coarse before a light summer supper at the beach.
- ½ cup Buttermilk
- ½ cup Onion, minced (about 2 oz.)
- 1 large Egg
- 1 cup Cornmeal, whole-grain, organic
- ¼ cup All-purpose flour
- 4 Tbls. Dried parsley flakes
- 1 tsp. Ground thyme
- 1 Tbls. Paprika
- 1 tsp. Garlic powder
- ½ tsp. Baking powder
- ½ tsp. Red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp. Dried mustard
- ½ tsp. Salt
- 3 oz. Canned sardines (about 14-16 fish)
- 1 Qt. Organic Canola oil (for frying the sea puppies)
- In a deep heavy-bottomed pot, heat the oil to 375ºF. In a separate small bowl whisk together the buttermilk, egg and onion. In a medium bowl; dry ingredients. Drain and mince the sardines.
- Stir wet ingredients into dry; stirring to mix well but do not overbeat. Fold minced sardines into the batter.
- Drop one teaspoon at a time into the hot oil. Fry until the hush puppies will turn golden brown and float to the top surface of the oil. Remove from oil with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Serve warm.
(20% Daily value for calcium based on a 2,000 calorie/day diet)
Calories: 233 Fat: 6g, Carbohydrates: 35g, Sodium: 503mg, Fiber: 4g, Protein: 12g, Cholesterol: 84mg