Salmon Linguica- Flavored Sausage Patties Recipe
Author: Chef Kelly Yorke
Serves: 12 Patties, 6 Servings
Linguica is a type of sausage that originated in Portugal and is made with smoke-cured pork and is heavily flavored with paprika, garlic and many herbs and spices. My version is made with salmon to create a sausage rich in the omega 3 fatty acids. Omega 3's found in cold-water fish help to reduce the production of prostaglandins which are a major player of inflammation and menstrual cramping pain. This recipe provides a very good source of Omega 3 fatty acids and B vitamins and a good source of vitamin D. Also, when paired with a calcium-rich and vitamin-D fortified serving of milk or yogurt topped with fiber-rich fresh fruit or whole grain cereal, and magnesium-rich nuts or seeds, your dietary fight against PMS is off to a really good start! Furthermore, Omega 3's are also great for your heart and they help fight depression, ADHD, Alzheimer's and Dementia.
- 1 Tbls. Crushed or Minced Garlic (Emperor’s Kitchen Organic Chopped Garlic)
- ¼ tsp. Ground Cloves (or) nutmeg (Simply Organic Ground Cloves)
- ¼ tsp. Ground Allspice (Simply Organic Allspice)
- ½ tsp. Salt
- 1 tsp. Oregano (Simply Organic Oregano Leaf)
- ¾ tsp. Coriander leaves or Dried Cilantro
- ¾ tsp. Cumin powder (Simply Organic Ground Cumin Seed)
- 1 Tbls. Paprika, smoked or plain (Simply Organic Ground Paprika)
- ¾ tsp. Ground cinnamon (Simply Organic Ground Cinnamon)
- ½ tsp. Red Pepper Flakes (Simply Organic Crushed Red Pepper)
- 1 lb. Salmon, sockeye, ground
- 2 Tbls. Sherry Vinegar (Napa Valley Naturals Sherry Barrel Wine Vinegar)
- 2 Tbls. Water
- Combine all ingredients (except salmon) together in a medium sized mixing bowl and blend into a paste.
- Cut salmon into ½ inch chunks and transfer to a food processor fitted with a metal cutting blade. Cover and pulse blade until the salmon is coarsely ground to the consistency of ground sausage meat. Transfer ground salmon into the mixing bowl with the seasoning paste. Blend until all the seasoning is evenly combined with the salmon. Cover bowl and refrigerate for about one hour up to overnight to allow flavors to blend.
- Form well chilled sausage mixture into about twelve (1.65 ounce) breakfast patties and pan sauté, or grill until fully cooked opaque through to the middle.
- Serve two patties per portion. (Optional) make six larger (2.66 ounce) patties and serve one patty per portion on sprouted whole grain English muffin or sandwich bun.
Calories: 136, Fat: 7g, Carbohydrates: 2g, Sodium: 215mg, Fiber: 1g, Protein: 16g, Cholesterol: 47mg