Back Relief Blender Beverage
Author: Chef Kelly Yorke
Serves: 2 Portions
This Blender Beverage includes “bromelain” which is a protein-digesting enzyme found in fresh pineapple and which can help sooth arthritis, muscle pain and joint aches. However, when bromelain is combined with the bioflavonoid called, “rutin”, this powerful duo can work as well as prescription pain relievers. Good food sources of rutin include apple skins, figs and green and black tea. Omega 3 fatty acids in avocado and flax seeds, as well as spices such as ginger and cinnamon can help reduce inflammation which is often a contributing factor in back pain. And finally probiotics found in fermented dairy products such as Kifer, yogurt, and cultured cheese have anti-inflammatory effects.
- 1 cup Fresh pineapple chunks (about 5 oz.)
- 1 Tbls. Maple syrup, 100% maple Shady Maple Farms Organic Maple Syrup, 12.7 oz. bottle
- 2 whole Dried figs Woodstock Organic Black Mission Figs, 10 oz. bag
- 1 cup Kifer, plain Nancy’s Organic Lowfat Kifer
- ½ each Avocado, peeled, pitted, mashed
- ½ tsp. Ground cinnamon Simply Organic Ground Cinnamon, 2.45 oz
- ¼ tsp. Ground ginger Simply Organic Ground Ginger Root, 1.64 oz.
- 2 tsp. Almond meal Bob’s Red Mill Almond Meal, 16 oz. bag
- 2 tsp. Ground flax seed Spectrum Essentials Organic Ground Flaxseed, 14 oz. bag
- ½ tsp. Vanilla extract Simply Organic Madagascar Vanilla Extract, 2 oz. bottle
- 1 cup Ice cubes
- Place all ingredients in a blender, cover and pulse in short bursts until mixture begins to liquefy then blend continuously until smooth.
- Pour in to glasses and serve. If desired, garnish each glass by hanging a pineapple ring or wedge on the rim and inserting a straw.
PER PORTION: 296 Calories; 14g Fat; 7g Protein; 40g Carbohydrate; 6g Dietary Fiber; 11mg Cholesterol; 64mg Sodium.