Author: Chef Kelly Yorke
Serves: about 2.5 cups (about ten ¼ cup servings)
Pack this pate into ramekins or mini crocks and serve as on a platter as an appetizer, hors d’oeuvre or snack accompanied with flaxseed crackers, cruciferous vegetables, fermented pickles and broccoli sprouts for a super breast- healthy nosh.
- 1 cup Lentils, uncooked (about 7.5 oz.) Truroots Organic Sprouted Green Lentils, 10 oz. bag
- 3 cups Water
- 1 whole Bay leaf Simply Organic Bay Leaf, .14 oz. container
- 1 Tbls. Olive oil Napa Valley Naturals, Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, 25.4 oz. bottle
- 1 cup Chopped onion
- ½ tsp. Poultry seasoning
- ¼ tsp. Dried Ground Thyme or ¾ tsp. whole thyme leaf, Simply Organic Whole Thyme, .78 oz. container
- ¼ tsp. Salt
- ¼ tsp. Black Pepper, freshly ground
- 1 tsp. Brandy non-alcohol extract, or Brandy flavoring oil
- Bring lentils, water and bay leaf to a boil in a saucepan. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook for 40 minutes or until lentils are tender and have absorbed most of the water. Remove the bay leaf and transfer mixture to a food processor or blender.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add onions and cook until they caramelize.
- Place caramelized onions, poultry seasoning, thyme, salt, pepper and brandy flavoring in the food processor along with the lentils. Process until mixture is smooth. If mixture is too thick, add a few tablespoons of water (one at a time) until your reach your desired consistency. Adjust seasonings to your taste (add a bit more salt, pepper, herbs or brandy flavoring to your liking).
- Transfer the mixture into small serving ramekins, crock or terrine. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate to chill and meld the flavors.
Per Serving: 84 Calories; 2g Fat; 6g Protein; 12g Carbohydrate; 6g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 58mg Sodium.