Carrot Soup Recipe
Author: Chef Kelly Yorke
Serves: 6 Servings
This soup is a source of antioxidants such as vitamin C, beta carotene, and vitamin E, and beneficial anti-inflammatory ingredients that may help slow down the progression of Alzheimer's. I like to serve this soup on St. Patricks Day because it features the colors of the Irish flag (green, white and orange).
- 1 Tbls. Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium Onion, chopped
- 2 pounds Carrots, chopped
- 3 cloves Garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp. Ginger root, grated
- ½ tsp. Turmeric
- ½ tsp. Curry powder
- ¼ tsp. Ground Cloves
- 2.25 ounce Dried Apricots, chopped
- 4 cups Low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 Tbls. Fresh lime juice
- ¼ cup Coconut cream (the thick cream that is found on top of a can of full-fat coconut milk)
- ¼ cup Fresh chopped parsley
- Heat a heavy-bottomed pot on medium-high until hot. Add the extra virgin olive oil and swirl around until it spreads out and covers the bottom service of the pot. Add onions and sauté until translucent, about three minutes. Add carrots, garlic, ginger, turmeric powder, curry powder, ground cloves and apricots. Continue to sauté until mixture is hot and fragrant, about another two minutes. Add 3-1/2 cups of the vegetable broth. Reduce heat; cover pot and simmer until carrots are very soft, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes.
- Remove soup from heat and puree it in a blender or by using an immersion blender. (When adding hot liquid to a blender it is important to vent the lid and pulse the speed carefully to prevent exploding the contents out the top).
- Return mixture to the same saucepot. Mix in the lime juice and remaining broth to thin soup to your desired consistency. Re-heat the soup until hot over medium heat. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper (if desired).
- Ladle hot soup into serving bowls. Top each with a tablespoon of coconut cream and run a knife through the cream to create a swirl-like pattern. (Alternatively, you can place some coconut cream into a small squirt bottle or piping bag and squirt lines or scribbles of coconut cream over the surface of the soup).
- Top with a generous sprinkling of Fresh Chopped Parsley.
Tip: Serve this soup with a slice of Irish-Colors Soda Bread.
Calories: 182, Fat: 6g, Carbohydrates: 25g, Sodium: 396mg, Fiber: 8g, Protein: 10g, Cholesterol: 0mg