SSKT Club Sandwich
Author: Chef Kelly Yorke
Serves: 4 Servings
“SSKT" stands for Smoked Salmon, Kale and Tomato. My inspiration for the SSKT sandwich was the traditional bacon, lettuce and tomato (BLT) sandwich but an SSKT gets its smokiness from crumbled Omega-3 rich smoked salmon instead of strips of pork belly bacon. Omega-3 fatty acid found in the salmon and avocado helps to fight inflammation. Magnesium in the whole grain bread and the kale can help relieve muscle tension. Vitamin C found in the tomato slices helps with cartilage repair and joint healing, and vitamin K found in dark leafy greens such as the kale, helps to prevent osteoarthritis and helps maintain strong joints. And although eating this sandwich may not instantly cure chronic back pain, it is a good dietary choice to add to a healthy eating plan that helps pave the way towards preventing chronic back pain in the future.
- 8 slices Whole grain wheat bread, toasted
- 1 each Avocado, peeled, pitted, mashed
- 1 Tbls. Lemon juice
- 2 Tbls. Nancy’s Organic Probiotic Greek Yogurt, plain, nonfat (go to www.nancysyogurt.com to find a store with this product near you)
- 16 each Tomato slices (if desired chop the slices into cubes)
- 2 oz. Kale, organic, shredded
- 8 oz. Smoked salmon, crumbled, flaked, or chopped
- 16 each Tooth picks
- Toast eight slices of bread.
- Blend together mashed avocado, lemon juice and yogurt in a small bowl.
- Spread one side of each slice of toasted bread with avocado mixture.
- On top of four of the bread slices portion ¼ of the tomato slices, ¼ of the greens, ¼ of the salmon crumbles.
- Top with the remaining bread slices.
- Spear a tooth pick through each sandwich at the 12, 3, 6 and 9 o’clock positions of the bread and about 1 inch from the edge. Cut each sandwich into quarters making an “X” between the toothpicks.
- Arrange four quarters attractively on each diner’s plate.
PER SERVING: 315 Calories; 13g Fat; 19g Protein; 35g Carbohydrate; 6g Dietary Fiber; 13mg Cholesterol; 760mg Sodium.