Headache-Helping Salad Greens with Hot Cherry Vinaigrette, Smoked Trout and Popped Wild Rice Topping
Salad Greens with Hot Cherry Vinaigrette, Smoked Trout & Popped Wild Rice Recipe
Author: Kelly Yorke
Serves: 4 Servings
This salad is a good source of natural headache helping ingredients such as spinach and greens, which contain magnesium to help relax blood vessels and cherries that contains quercetin, which helps to prevent migraines associated with food allergies and melatonin, which can help you sleep. Corn contains vitamin B3 (niacin), which can help in preventing stress headaches caused by a vitamin B3 deficiency, and pineapple is a good source of bromelain, which is a natural pain reliever that can also help alleviate headache pain related to chronic sinus inflammation.
- ¼ cup Tart Cherry Juice
- ¼ cup Balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbls. Maple syrup
- ½ Tbls. Dijon mustard
- ½ Tbls. Scallions, sliced thin
- 2 tsp. Garlic, minced
- ½ tsp. Dried basil
- ⅛ tsp. Coarsely ground black pepper
- 10 oz. Fresh Spinach leaves, rinsed (or one family size bag)
- 2 cups Fresh arugula, basil or purslane (or a combination of all three)
- ½ cup Dried cherries
- ½ cup Corn kernels, non-GMO, cooked
- ½ cup Red onion, thinly sliced into strips
- ½ cup Fresh chopped pineapple
- 4-6 oz. Smoked trout or salmon filet, cooked, skinless, boneless, flaked or crumbled
- 1 cup Popped wild rice
- In a small sauce pot combine the cherry juice, vinegar, maple syrup, mustard, scallions, garlic, basil and pepper. Heat mixture on medium until hot but not boiling.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl toss together the greens, dried cherries, corn, onion strips, chopped pineapple and flaked trout.
- Drizzle the hot vinaigrette dressing over the salad and lightly toss to coat all the ingredients.
- Top center of salad with a pile of popped wild rice.
Calories: 287, Fat: 6g, Carbohydrates: 49g, Sodium: 237mg. Fiber: 6g, Protein: 13g, Cholesterol: 16mg