Broccoli & Turkey Tetrazzini
Author: Chef Kelly Yorke
Serves: 6 Servings
This recipe offers a bone-friendly makeover on the classic American “retro” comfort-food dish consisting of poultry and pasta in a creamy-cheesy sauce. This version includes 100% whole wheat spaghetti to provide more magnesium, broccoli to provide calcium and vitamin K, and almonds to provide boron. Magnesium and calcium work together to promote bone health, and vitamin K helps increase bone density and reduce the risk of fracture. Almonds provide the trace mineral Boron. Boron helps keep more calcium and magnesium in our bones by reducing urinary excretion of these important bone minerals.
- 3 Tbls. Butter (or almond oil for vegans)
- 3 Tbls. Mochiko flour (sweet rice flour)
- ¾ tsp. Poultry seasoning
- 2.5 cups Low sodium turkey broth (or vegetable broth for vegans)
- ¾ cup Low fat milk (or unsweetened almond, soy, or coconut milk beverage for vegans)
- ½ cup Sherry wine
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese (or a vegan cheese substitute for Vegans)
- 1 Tbls. Olive oil
- 12 oz. Mushrooms, (non-white button varieties) such as a blend of shitake, oyster, portabella, etc.
- 6 cloves Garlic, minced, about ¼ oz.
- 1 cup Scallions, sliced ¼ inch thick, about 2 ounces
- ½ cup Parsley, fresh, chopped, squeezed dry
- ½ cup Onion, sliced and coarsely chopped
- 10 oz. Broccoli, chopped, fresh or frozen
- 10 oz. Cooked Turkey meat, cubed or torn into bite size pieces, about 2 cups (or cubed firm tofu for vegans)
- 4.5 oz. Dry Spaghetti, 100% whole wheat, broken into 1-2 inch pieces
- ¼ cup Panko bread crumbs, about ½ oz.
- ¼ cup Blanched, slivered almonds, about ¾ oz.
- ½ tsp. Coarsely ground black pepper
- Melt the butter in a heavy saucepot over medium-high heat. Stir in the Mochiko flour and cook 1 to 2 minutes but do not brown then stir in the poultry seasoning. Whisk in the broth a little at a time to avoid lumps and then add the milk and sherry. Cook, stirring constantly, until sauce comes to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and add ¼ cup Parmesan cheese. Stir constantly until the cheese has melted smoothly into the sauce. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Pour olive oil into a heated skillet. Add the mushrooms and sauté until mushrooms are soft. Add the garlic and continue to sauté another 1minute or so then stir in the scallions, parsley and onions. Remove skillet from heat and set aside.
- Break up spaghetti into 1 to 2-inch pieces and cook according to package directions until al dente. Drain well.
- Combine sauce, mushroom mixture, spaghetti, and cooked turkey; (optional) adjust seasoning with salt to taste. Pour into a greased 1-1/2 quart casserole and sprinkle with remaining cheese, bread crumbs and almonds.
- Bake at 375 °F for 20 minutes or until almonds and bread crumbs are golden brown and contents is bubbly and heated through to 165°F into the center
Per Serving: 389 Calories; 15g Fat; 27g Protein; 34g Carbohydrate; 5g Dietary Fiber; 54mg Cholesterol; 287mg Sodium. (22% daily value for calcium based on a 2,000 calorie/day diet)