Sweet Potato & Apple Pancakes
Serves: 4 Servings
Pancakes are not just for breakfast - they can also be offered as a lunch or dinner entree or as a side dish or snack, as well! This recipe is a great parve choice to serve during Hanukkah. It is also a strongly anti-inflammatory recipe, which means it is a good recipe option for those who are battling inflammation-related diseases such as heart disease, arthritis, diabetes, and colitis (to name a few). If you serve these with a milchik (dairy) meal, these pancakes taste great with a sprinkling of sharp cheddar cheese melted on top!
- 2 cups Sweet potatoes, raw, peeled & grated (about two 5-6 oz. potatoes)
- 1 cup Apples, raw, washed, unpeeled, cored, grated (about one large 6 oz. apple)
- ⅜ cup Scallions, sliced ¼” thick (about 1 oz.)
- ½ cup Pasteurized no-cholesterol liquid egg product, or egg whites (about 4 oz.)
- ¼ cup Coconut Milk, lite, unsweetened, Kosher certified parve
- 2 Tbls. Whole wheat flour (about ½ oz.)
- 1 tsp. Ground ginger
- ½ tsp. Ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. Salt
- ¼ tsp. Ground pepper
- ⅛ tsp. Nutmeg
- 2 Tbls. Olive oil
- Peel and grate sweet potatoes and peel, core, and grate apple by using a hand grater or a food processor fitted with a grating disk. Bundle grated ingredients into a clean cheese cloth or dish towel and twist or roll up the cloth to squeeze out excess liquid from the apple and potato mixture. Place mixture into a bowl and combine with the remaining ingredients (except oil) to create a coarse batter.
- Add about ½ the oil into a large skillet or sauté pan and heat on medium.
- Add a scant 2.5 – 3 oz. of batter per pancake (1/3 – ½ cup) into the heated skillet to create four 3”diameter pancakes. Cook pancakes on one side until golden brown on the bottom, flip and cook the remaining sides until golden brown.
- Remove cooked pancakes and repeat process with the remaining batter and olive oil.
- Serve pancakes with fruit topping, maple syrup, a dollop of non-dairy yogurt or as an accompaniment with savory foods and dishes.
Calories: 188, Fat: 8g, Carbohydrates: 24g, Sodium: 203mg, Fiber: 4g, Protein: 5g, Cholesterol: 0mg