Heart Healthy - Lou’s Granola Recipe
Author: Chef Kelly Yorke
Serves: ½ Cup
This is my anti-inflammatory “makeover version” of a typically inflammatory snack favorite. This recipe is low in sodium, high in fiber, has no breast cancer and is mildly anti-inflammatory (rare for granolas). It is also a good source of Vitamin A, Vitamin E and Thiamin and a very good source of Manganese. Although the fat ratio is hefty in this recipe, the dominate type of fat is of the monounsaturated and polyunsaturated varieties and the omega 6 to omega 3 ratio in this recipe is a respectable 2:1.
- 8 cups Old fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup Chopped Almonds
- 1 cup Chopped Pecans
- 1 cup Flax Seed, purchase whole, store in freezer, and
- Grind in a coffee grinder just before using in recipe
- ½ cup Wheat Bran
- ¾ cup Hazelnut Oil
- ¾ cup Coconut Sugar, organic
- 1 Tbls. Cinnamon, ground
- 1 tsp. Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 1 Tbls. Ginger, ground
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 1 Tbls. Almond Extract
- 1 cup Sweet Potatoes, whole, peeled, cooked, mashed
- (about 2 each)
- Place oats, almonds, pecans, flax seed, and wheat bran, in a large bowl.
- In a small saucepan, combine the oil, sugar, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, ginger and salt and heat mixture gently until sugar is melted to liquid. Remove from heat and add almond extract.
- Meanwhile, peel and cut potatoes into ½-inch cubes. Steam the potatoes until fork tender (about 15-20 minutes). This can be done by placing the potatoes in a sieve, colander, or steam basket hung over a pot of boiling water so the potato cubes are not submerged in water. Cover the pot while the potatoes steam. Remove potatoes from heat and carefully remove the potatoes and place in a food processor, blender, or bowl. Puree the potatoes. Measure and add 1 cup of puree to the saucepan and mix well. (Reserve any remaining pureed sweet potatoes for another recipe).
- Pour saucepan mixture over the dry ingredients and thoroughly mix until the dry ingredients are evenly coated.
- Spread the mixture out on a cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 40 minutes, stirring the granola once or twice while baking and until granola turns golden brown.
Serving Suggestion; Serve this granola over a scoop of organic plain Greek yogurt and garnish (optional) with fresh berries or a few dried ones.
Calories: 288, Fat: 17g, Carbohydrates: 28g, Sodium: 101mg, Fiber: 6g, Protein: 8g, Cholesterol: 0mg